Friday, March 09, 2007

You've a long way to go yet, son.

While sweeping, the rough bristles picking out dirt from the grate, a certain sense of self-disengagement present in the kitchen, I made a startling discovery. People thought differently of me than I thought that they thought of me. I was also glad of instant deletion, the image of a typewriter, in which one's thoughts may solidify on the page before being able to be deleted, frightening me. I was glad for this distraction.

"You're innocent. You have an innocent face. "

I stop sweeping. Innocent? I think that's the first time I've been called innocent. I've been called crazy, impulsive, Arabic, even kind, but never innocent. Never innocent. And the thing is, I can feel these thoughts making slow sense in my head, a sleepy, meandering narrative. I'm making this into a story as I think it.

"I'm sorry - innocent?"

"Yes."

"Like in the way a crooked cop looks innocent on the stand of his mate, crooked judge?"

"What?"

"How?"

"How what?"

"How am I innocent?"

"Well, you don't look guilty."

Therein lies the existential problem. It wasn't that I was innocent, it was that I wasn't anything else readily identifiable.

*

Why big and small. Why not something else?

*

"You're funny."

"Why?"

"You say strange things that I don't get."

That's it. That's why I am. Because I do, and they don't get. Funny that.

1 comment:

Butterflysoup said...

lonely because of that sometimes, she thought. And laughed because, it was they who were innocent, not knowing that not caring makes you guilt free.


x torzilla x